Re: [pct-l] MY GOAL..

MontanaEd writes:

<< As I read many of your posts I wonder how many of you do it.  What I mean
 is how do people find the time first of all (away from their
responsibilities
 i.e. job, boss, family, etc.) to go out for a month or much longer? How are
 you are able to find that delicate balance between your responsibilities and
 your desires?  I know it takes x amount of dollars and time.  How do your
 families accept this?  How are you able to be away from work so long.
 Especially when (if) they do not take part in your adventures?  I am looking
 for any practical suggestions you all have that would permit me to graduate
 to some month long hikes, to involve my son (if his interest remains strong)

 and keep the home front happy at the same time.  >>

Ed, I have struggled with this for years.  At last I have found some
solutions that may be useful to you.  I have found some simple cabins in some
rather remote areas of the Sierra that can be rented.  They sometimes have
showers and kitchens and sometimes they don't.  My family enjoys these
tremendously and I get a little closer to the wilderness that I love.  As my
children have grown they have, through these cabins, become more and more
appreciative of the wilderness.  I am progressively exposing them to greater
and greater challenges.  I started with long day hikes and now, in the past
three years, have started taking them on several day hiking trips.  I see in
the near future, five years or so, when I will be able to take two or three
weeks and take two or three of them out with me.  My wife understands my love
for backpacking (as should any of your spouses unless they are crazy for
marrying a PCT'er) and, as long as I am involving one or more of the family,
its okay with her.

In my work I am fortunate to have now accumulated enough vacation time to
take these several week trips if I desire.  There has been an investment to
get here.

And as for thru-hiking, I suggest it is best to do before you marry, before
kids and before a career or after all three!

Greg "Strider" Hummel