[pct-l] Sierra Nevada demographics article

Brick -

Thanks for the interesting article about the Sierra Nevadans.  I'm a
resident of El Dorado County.  I was interested in the lower rate of heart
disease, wondering if there is a possible correlation between low heart
disease and higher altitude.  Wonder if that plays out in Denver.

Reason I'm interested is - just been reading a book by Teresa Hale,
Breathing Free - about curing asthma, emphysema, bronchitis with breathing
exercises.  It's based on the work of a Russian doc who claims that the
problem with a lot of illnesses is not enough carbon dioxide rather than not
enough oxygen.  I've been experimenting with these ideas by holding my
breath, which increases carbon dioxide and decreases the ratio of oxygen to
carbon dioxide.  He claims carbon dioxide is a natural bronchodilator.
Makes sense when you think about hyperventilating and then breathing into a
paper bag.  It has been helpful for me and had me thinking about hiking etc.
in high altitudes.  Author also states of course that people in higher
altitudes (read less oxygen) live longer.  Interesting.  Of course
correlation is easy, causation damn near impossible.

Anyone know of this work, theory, how it might apply to sports in high
altitudes?  I heard about it from some psychotherapists who have been using
it to treat panic attacks with success.  Instead of slowing and deepening
the breathing, you hold your breath and then shallow breathe.

Web site is www.breathconnection.com

This is helping me when I swim and walk - haven't been able to try it at
altitude yet.

Mary B