Re: [pct-l] Landscape History of 20th Century Trails

Did I miss something or did thegood (new)  Doctor forget to send us the
URL wherein his thesis lies? <smile> geez-- how much governemen t
funding to you use for this project BTW? I hope it is zero..I love
history but...<JUST KIDDING>...

Rich

At 12:47 AM -0000 10/26/99, Glynn Wolar wrote:
>Friends of the PCT:
>
>    For several years I have quietly read the array of messages posted
>on this discussion list and I have been enriched by the insights gained
>from many of you.  As a hiker, backpacker, mountaineer, and trailbuilder
>I have long pondered the greater philosophical, cultural, spiritual, and
>historical significance of the nation's wilderness trails.
>    For those of you interested in historical matters, and for those of
>you particularly interested in pondering the nature of the 20th century
>trail experience in the American wilderness, I invite you to peruse the
>pages of my doctoral dissertation in history, filed in December, 1998,
>at the University of Idaho.  The dissertation is titled: "The
>Conceptualization and Development of Pedestrian Recreational Wilderness
>Trails in the American West, 1890-1940: A Landscape History."
>    To the best of my knowledge, the research includes the first
>scholarly treatment of the Pacific Crest Trail.  The Pacific Crest Trail
>chapter, dealing with the early years of the trail, is predicated upon
>archival material not previously accessed by scholars.
>    If you are interested in such matters, please do not hesitate to
>contact me directly and I will attempt to answer any questions
>pertaining to my research.
>
>    Glynn G. Wolar, Ph.D.
>    gwolar@ziggy.mpcc.cc.ne.us
>
>* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List |  http://www.backcountry.net   *

--RJ Calliger

Mi Wuk Village, California
"At Home in The Sierra Nevada Mountains on the PCT/JMT"

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Use email:  Never send a tree to do an electron's work.
(c) Copyright   rj calliger 1995-1999

 http://www.infolane.net/~calliger OR
 http://banquo.infolane.com/~calliger

    /\

"Attitude is the brush that paints the picture." -anon
  "Do, or Do Not -- There is No Try"  - Yoda