[pct-l] Landscape History of 20th Century Trails

Friends of the PCT:

    For several years I have quietly read the array of messages posted
on this discussion list and I have been enriched by the insights gained
from many of you.  As a hiker, backpacker, mountaineer, and trailbuilder
I have long pondered the greater philosophical, cultural, spiritual, and
historical significance of the nation's wilderness trails.
    For those of you interested in historical matters, and for those of
you particularly interested in pondering the nature of the 20th century
trail experience in the American wilderness, I invite you to peruse the
pages of my doctoral dissertation in history, filed in December, 1998,
at the University of Idaho.  The dissertation is titled: "The
Conceptualization and Development of Pedestrian Recreational Wilderness
Trails in the American West, 1890-1940: A Landscape History."
    To the best of my knowledge, the research includes the first
scholarly treatment of the Pacific Crest Trail.  The Pacific Crest Trail
chapter, dealing with the early years of the trail, is predicated upon
archival material not previously accessed by scholars.
    If you are interested in such matters, please do not hesitate to
contact me directly and I will attempt to answer any questions
pertaining to my research.

    Glynn G. Wolar, Ph.D.
    gwolar@ziggy.mpcc.cc.ne.us