[pct-l] Re: Plan A and Plan B.

Quite a thought-provoking thread....  Just where do we draw the line between
Plan A (the situation we are in) and Plan B (the situation we would like to
be in?)  It seems to me that the two are one and the same.  Don't we ALWAYS
do what we most want to do?  We make our choices (and, yes, at times they can
be very difficult choices) then do what we decide is most wanted at that
time.  We can regret the choice later, or not.  It works out best if we have
weighed the alternatives carefully in light of our past experience, good
advice and/or consideration of the probable consequences.

I suggest that Plan A is the entirety of our real world including, for
example, those dreams we have of hiking the PCT at some future time or just
"someday".   Dreams of paths we may take when the time is right, are real.
They are possibilities.  They may never actually happen but they add to our
enjoyment of life.

That leaves our fantasies -- the Plan B stuff -- those things which may be
great fun to think about, but which we know won't happen, would not really,
deep down want to happen, and which we have made as sure as we can by our
previous, real-life choices, can't happen.  Know the difference.  Have some
fun.  If you're not sure what you're doing is fun, try to make it fun.  Take
a short break and walk, in your mind, "That trail up near the sky."  But
don't spend too much time worrying that you didn't get that date with Heather
Locklear.

I sometimes dream about sailing solo to Tahiti or Fiji or ....?  It's a
fantasy.  Won't happen.  I get seasick.  It's a Plan B thing.