[pct-l] Way back when ... (continued - One last time)

(I'm going to finish this though if it kills me! - I discovered that
Ctrl-Ret in my email automatically sends my message. I was just using it in
MSN's Messenger to create a paragraph in the edit box. Well third times a
charm.)

Way back when I was much younger I used to believe that my mangers were
pretty incompetent. All of their decisions - especially those directly
concerning me - seemed to be made with little rhyme or reason. Gee, I
thought, if only I could run things they would go so much better.
Well over time - despite my attitude - I worked my way up the corporate
ladder. Eventually finding myself in a position of authority. Only to find
that I didn't do anything better than my predecessor. Different maybe, but
defiantly not better. The people I held some control over didn't like my
decisions any better than I did my bosses.
After getting off the AT, I was curious about how much more tolerant of
people I was than before the hike. To me the hike was a pretty humbling
experience. Overtime that tolerance wore off and my intolerance returned.
I've talked to other hikers who have also talked about the tolerance they
gained from the experience.

I'm headed to the PCT next summer in hopes to refill my well of tolerance
and belief that all is not wrong with the world.  Maybe I do so with an air
of naivety. I certainly hope not.

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
Fallingwater Journals - www.fallingwater.com
Pacific Crest Trail Assoc. - www.pcta.org
American Long Distance Hikers Association - West -
www.gorp.com/nonprof/aldhaw