RE: [pct-l] Was the thruhike a dream?

I hope this thread thrives.  It's a subject that doesn't get much attention
on this list; What happens when you get home from "The Big Hike?"

In '97 I came home expecting to be physically and spiritually energized,
just as I had been on the trail.  I expected that the energy would carry
over into my "other" life and lead to great accomplishments there as well.
And in the longer run that has been true, but my immediate feelings were
confusion and depression over the gulf that Joanne describes.  For me, the
job made the adventure possible, but the adventure made the job seem less
real and less satisfying.  And yet I KNOW the job IS real and that makes the
adventure less real and less satisfying.  ("job" refers to life in general
off the trail and "adventure" refers to life on the trail.)

The net effect for me was I spent the winter of '97-'98 mostly indoors.  I
didn't do all the local hikes that could have been so easy.  I didn't even
do much running.  And work was out of focus too.  Dreams of the trail
interfered with it.

My advice for the class of '99 is this.  Expect some problems.  As you did
on the trail, you'll overcome them and achieve a balance.  When spring '98
arrived, I was rested and whole again.  The discipline I learned on the
trail HAS carried me through tough times off the trail.  I got back into
running and hiking and even got back on the PCT for 830 miles this summer.

Does anyone else care to share their post-trail experience?

Brian