[pct-l] Belknap crater

Hi,

It's been a while, but I got a day hike in last Sunday.  We did Belknap, Jr
and Sr. craters from the McKenzie Highway. I had forgotten what is like to
hike during hunting season.  We even saw one guy walking down the side of
the road with his rifle (but didn't bother to make a citizens arrest).

The lava flow is awe inspiring and the Pct cuts right through it.  There are
two islands of vegetation and one had a large 30ft snow patch on the North
side (6,000ft). But it doesn't seem like snow would be an issue at all for a
thru hike.  I'm sure the Lava rock heats up like a sauna during the summer.
It was perfect in October with a breeze.

The first crater  Little Belknap is only about 5 minutes from the trail, and
would be hard to resist.  The cone is a intense red (colorred like rock from
Moab Utah, but probably a very different origin? Igneous vs Sedimentary?)
Does anyone know the oxide? Is it just rust?

The first crater also has lava tubes, I saw two, that probably stay cool
even during a hot afternoon -- just a guess though.

Big Belknap was good exercise, but after climbing St. Helens, it is a little
anti-climatic.  It's an easy 45 minute slog, but maybe not worth the wasted
effort during a thru hike.

The views of Mt. Washington are spectactular. There's an "observatory" built
out of the Lava rock on the Highway, but it seemed silly after hiking to the
top the crater.

It seems like boots would be the best bet for this hike.  I almost rip my
hands up just trying to find a rock to sit down on.

 Neil - urban hiker(for now) - Hollister//