RE: [pct-l] PCT resupply

Hi Tim,

The PCTA's resupply advice page is excellent.  After reviewing it, I'd add
the following comments:

Both times I thru-hiked the Crater Lake to Manning sections, '97 and '99, I
used boxes.  This worked well for me because I live in San Jose, California
and postage is cheap.  I like to spend no more than 1/2 a day in a resupply
point, and a shower, restaurant meal or two, and laundry are all higher on
my priority list than grocery shopping.  I personally prefer the convenience
of having exactly what I need in one box.

But it's because of my experience that I know what food I like, how much
I'll eat, etc.  First-timers have more reason to stay flexible.  I'm not
knocking the other options.  Here's some current information from the
perspective of someone who didn't buy many groceries.  YMMV.

Mazama Campground, Crater Lake:

Even if you mailed a box to the post office, it's probably here.  Ask at the
store.  (UPS in NOT required.)  The store is small, but could be a resupply
point if you're not picky.  No restaurant, but you can get a hot dog in the
store.  Coin-op laundry and showers available.  Phone.

Crater Lake Post office:

Nothing but a visitor center, post office and bathrooms here.  Your package
was probably sent to Mazama Campground.  Check there first!  This is one of
the few places you can mail out a drift box.

Crater Lake Rim (the lodge):

Great cafeteria style food. A few sodas and snacks are available.  Don't
resupply here.  Fill your water bottles here, it's 20+ miles to the next
water.

Cascade Summit:

One small store.  Resupply barely possible for the desperate.  (I wouldn't)
No restaurant, but hot dogs are available.  Expensive coin-op showers
available by appointment. (~$5)  Camping $5 per person.  Phone.

Elk Lake Resort:

One small store. Resupply barely possible for the desperate.  (I wouldn't)
Great restaurant meals available ($10-$20).  Sometimes a cabin is available
for the night, (~$100+, but sleeps up to 6)  No camping that I know of, but
very close to campable trail.  Cell phone only.

Ollalie Lake Resort:

One small store.  Resupply possible for the non-picky.  No restaurant or hot
meals.  ~$5 shower available by appointment.  Cabins usually available.
Decent campsites very near-by.  This is a very hiker friendly place, just
yards off the trail.  Cell phone only.

Timberline Lodge, Mt. Hood:

A year-round ski area.  Wy'East Lodge gift shop holds packages for a fee.
No store.  Several options for meals including a decent cafeteria with
ski-area pricing.  Showers only for lodge guests and employees.  Very
expensive lodging, usually booked in advance.  Expensive restaurants for the
non-grubby.  Most thru-hikers will get their box and leave the same day.
But don't skip this one.  It's a great place to visit, and you won't find
many other resupply points at the TOP of the hill.  Phones.

Cascade Locks:

A real town.  Free waterfront camping for PCTers at the locks.  Several
reasonable motels.  Lots of restaurants.  A real grocery store.  If you're
going to send boxes ahead, this is the place from which to do it. A real
post office in its own building.  (Drift box okay.)  An ice cream shop!
etc. etc.  This is a "sticky" town.  Plan to spend a layover day or two
here.  Phones.

White Pass:

A winter ski area.  In summer there's one motel open ($60) and one gas
station/store.  Resupply possible for the non-picky.  No restaurants open.
Some hot dogs, microwave burritos at the store.  The motel has kitchens.
Showers only in the motel.  Laundry in the store.  Camping is about a mile
away.  Phones.

Snoqualmie Pass:

A winter ski area and an Interstate 90 "truck stop" area.  There's a Best
Western motel, ($80) and a private residence "hostel" (1/2 mile away.)  The
hostel is supposedly very hiker friendly, but they're not always home.
Several restaurants and two medium-sized stores available.  Decent resupply
opportunity.  Showers for motel, hostel guests.  One store has a post-office
nook.  Drift box okay.  Phones.

Skykomish:

A sleepy railroad town.  17? mile hitch hike from Steven's Pass.  Real post
office in its own building.  Can send drift boxes here.  Several nice little
restaurants, motels and inns. (~$80)  One very small store.  Phones. If you
need to buy food, hitch farther.

Stehekin:

A delightful community with only local roads.  Supplies come in 50 miles by
boat on Lake Chelan. There's a lodge, a ranch and another resort or two.
The place is very hiker friendly, and you'll be accommodated if possible,
but it can be booked solid, especially before mid September.  (~65-$80)
Camping is available.  There is one restaurant at the lodge and the ranch
serves meals out of its kitchen.  There is $5 bus service to get around.
Free public shower.  Coin-op laundry.  A real post office.  Drift box okay.
One medium sized store.  Resupply possible for the non-picky.  Don't miss
the bakery!  Only one phone in town (satellite $$)

Brian