Re: [pct-l] I need to know

Sly wrote:
>>but they had just finished the PCT and hope to complete the AT by Christmas
time!  Pretty neat hike!  <<

I don't know who these two ambitious souls were, but I'd have to wish them
well. The impression I have is that a back-to-back, same-season thru-hike
of two national scenic trails has yet to happen in the distance hiking
world. Yo-yo's of the AT are, of course, slightly more common. But the last
attempt at a same-season AT and PCT hike that I'm aware of was Let It Be's
try in '97, was it? His strategy was to begin on the AT, heading northbound,
and finishing very early at Katahdin. Then he headed south from Manning
presumably at a fitting time of summer for a southbound PCT attempt. Of
course, the weather turned wintery in the Sierra, putting a damper on the
attempt, but then late season weather is usually a considerable problem
along the PCT.

But the fall and winter are comparatively great times to hike along the
AT. Cold and snow are likely in places, but they don't pose nearly the
same hike-nixing threat as along the PCT. So it would seem to me that these
two fellows, if the story holds true, are following perhaps the ideal
strategy for a win: PCT northbound followed by AT southbound. I would question
their planned finishing date - by Christmas? If they're still in Maine now,
then they're looking at around 2000 miles of walking in under 3 months. I
don't think I'd be up for that after having just hiked 2600. And pulling
25-30 mile days, every day, as the available daylight shrinks to 10 or 9
hours would be very hard.

As you can tell, I'm living vicariously here, indoors. :)
- Blister>