[pct-l] Basic Questions

Anyone--

Are there any rules of thumb as to roughly what section of the PCT:
1)one needs an ice ax on? (I realize the answer depends on the time of year.
  I'm a slow hiker starting out on 4/15);
2)There are enough bears so that one would want to consider a bear can?  I
assume that, if I choose to carry one of these things, I could have a bear
can shipped to the appropriate rest stop, right?

How useful have people found altimetors to be?  The Suunto, at 1 oz., feels
pretty hefty; is it worth carrying?

Pete