Re: [pct-l] bears

To the stories of  ....sleeping with your food at Lake Aloha in August
.......sleeping with your food at Cathederal Lakes in August.......I might
add that the group I talked to that went to 1000 Island Lakes were carrying
a bear canister. However, much of their food was not inside the canister.
Their plan: "If the bear gets or [non canister] food we still have enough
to not mess up our trip!" Now these people (4) were only out for three (3)
days and could have easily fit all their food into a canister. They just
didn't bother.

So ......the authorities make laws about proper food storage [sleeping with
food ain't] and people ignore them, require bear canisters but folks don't
put their food in them, and supply bear boxs but hikers don't use them
because they are filled up with trash. Like I have said before, either no
people or no bears in the future.