Re: [pct-l] Bears: What I advocate

In a message dated 9/10/99 3:09:10 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
reynolds@ilan.com writes:

<< However,
 if you believe stealth camping really works just hang your food over a tree

Tom, I believe bear cannisters work best in order to save your food and the
bears for that matter, but aren't neccesarily  the solution for thruhikers,
they don't sit and smell the roses, they are on the move.

On my hike the only people that lost food were the ones that hang it.

Consider this, the ones that hang food leave the scent up into the wind, the
bears can smell that and know the more frequented campsites, so they
gravitate.  On the other hand, if one keeps their food in the tent, low into
the wind, my theory is the scent isn't as easily detected.

I was the absolute worst in stealth camping.  I'd not only cook in front of
my tent near a water source,  I'd eat in my tent, the steam actually caused
condensation.

In my experience the bears are cool, they don't mess with me, I don't mess
with them.

Sly