Re: [pct-l] Re: Rain Gear

I believe that many of these gear decisions depend on your hiking style.

The results of July and August Sierra backpacking for a dozen years for
about 14 days per year [168 days] was about 6 days where we hiked with rain
gear. In all these cases a light nylon shell from Sierra Designs was
adaquate [My wife also carries pants and likes them]. Jacket plus pants
weigh about a pound.

During this time we have carried a rather roomy 4-Season tent so that we
could ride out a storm if need be. In two cases [in 12 years] we have set
up the tent intending to ride out the storm. However, in 1 and 3 hours the
storm was over.

However, our style is to hike early [6:30-2:30] and so we are usually in
camp and set up for the inevitable Sierra thundershower. I estimate that,
if we were typically walking during the 3PM-5PM thundershower time we would
have needed rain protection about 1 day in 5  [34 days].  So, my estimates
say that rain gear will be used 6 times as often depending on when you
walk. Maybe better rain gear, a pack cover, etc. would be warranted if we
hiked in the afternoon.