Re: [pct-l] rain gear for JMT

> One more question: goretex raincoat or poncho on the jmt in August? I
> could save a pound off of my basepack...I keep going back and forth on
> this one. I know if it is wet enough  I get plenty wet even in goretex.

I hiked the JMT in July of 1990. We had two weeks of all-day utterly clear
blue sky (1st and 3rd weeks). Five out of seven days of the 2nd week we got
rained on in the afternoon -- thunderstorms with wind, rain, and (several
times) hail. I don't think a poncho would have been much good. Goretex or
coated nylon would probably be fine.

Karen