[pct-l] Homemade Packs

My wife and I have made three backpacks so far.  The basic design came from
Frostline and then we made several alterations.  Basically the pack is a big
1.9oz ripstop nylon stuff sack.  Some of the changes:  we only have one
large mesh pocket across the back of the whole park, there is no cover on
the top, we added a belt, and we stripped everything else off.  The belt is
a copy off of a Lowe pack.  One thing we keep in the Frostline design was to
use Corduar on the back and bottom of the pack.  This added strength across
the back and protected the bottom from abrasion.  The finished weight of our
packs; Ann's is 13oz and mine is 16oz.  All and all the packs have preformed
very well, in the 400 miles we have used them.  This summer we will be using
them while hiking the Sierra High Route.  For those of you that are not
familiar with the Sierra High Route, picture the JMT, but keep the route
above 9000', and about 80% of it is cross country.

Tim and Ann
The Ravens  PCT '96