[pct-l] News from the Trail: Goforth

Joanne "Goforth" Lennox is sending me reports of her thru-hike for me to
post here with news about trail conditions for this year's hikers and a
glimpse of our beloved PCT for the rest of us.

Karen Elder

4/8/99

Dear Karen + Folks -
    I am in Tehachipi, having descended in a snow storm from circa Robin
Bird Spring (exited out through Twin oaks, which was a beautiful canyon). I
did the 50 miles south from Walker Pass in 3 1/2 days, the last 2 in snow
with heavy snow falling. Despite my meager base pack weight (15 lbs) I was
albe to keep warm, dry, + knew where I was. I was unable however at Robin
Bird Springs area to "keep the trail" due to drifted snow, errant motorbike
tracks, the confusion of gullies + rock ridges, the lack of visibility, +
the constant need to pull out reading glasses, map, + compass. According to
the map going further South meant another thousand+ feet, steeper terrain
around Weldon Peak, + the weather was (more wind, clouds lower, no variation
in the black clouds) deteriorating (if that is possible). When at last, I
ended up on Jawbone Rd + was unable after repeated backtracking to find out
how I had gotten off the trail + where it was, I decided to exit. I found
that if I was actually on the trail, I could follow it. If I was off the
trail, if was very hard to recognize, even if I was standing on it. It was
the continuity of the tread of the trail that allowed me to follow it.
Blow-downed trees, willow thickets, creek crossings, rocky patchs or boulder
fields, and right angle turns all mess with this continuity. The map was
useless in this type of terrain (dissecting gullies, heavy timber with no
view of the topography!).
    Well, in that 50 miles I managed to cross the 37-mile dry section from
McIvar's Spring to Robin Bird Sp, rather strange to do it in a snow storm.
No water until Cottonwood Creek. I got 2 quarts left at the base of Wiley's
Knob by a trail angel, who I saw bicycling away downhill + to the N. West.
He showed up on the trail coming North from Willow Springs (Don Valentine,
lives near Cajon Pass). Maybe these Trail Angels have skills we ordinary
mortals do not know about -- never did figure out how he showed up from a
completely opposite direction than he started from, and in the few short
miles that it was sunny + snowfree. I found that snow did not mean water. I
generated a lot of slush in my hip bottle + in the platypuses (takes a long
time to stuff a platy with snow + not much good). Can't drink slush!
    My tarp is only 5 feet wide + therefore requires a fairly shallow setup.
The 1st snowy night I fortified it + closed the one end by building a wall
of frozen cow pies (where are those cow pies when youneed them?). The second
night I found a *BIG* Jeffrey Pine tree for one end + a boulder field for
the other. In excavating the enormous pine cones, it occurred to me that
here were my tent walls. I had a needle-duff lined trench with cone walls +
a silicon coated 1.1 ripstop top. My 2 raw eggs froze that night thru +
thru.
    I have grown to love my Sigg alcohol stove - it's slow in the cold, but
has not failed. Not too good for melting snow, however.
    Before I left home, I noticed that I had tremors in my hands/fingers
when trying to type on the computer. At Warner Springs, I noticed that it
was difficult to write, I was appalled at the letter that I had scrawled to
Karen. The 3rd warning sign came when I exited Lio Peak + got to the Hiway +
tried to use my trusty Photon II LED flashlight. You can turn it on by
simply pinching the 2 sides, about as much strength required as holding a
pencil. I couldn't pinch it with my left hand. These effects seemed to vary
with how much water I was carrying (read *WEIGHT*). I am not certain, but
think that I am getting brachial nerve damage from my packstraps. My
homemade pack is okay with 25-30 lbs, above that (i.e., added water) is
problematic. The tumpline has really helped + I use it most uphills now.
    I can see the snow to the south of Tehachipi - it is only about 500 -
1000'  above the town, on the treed ridges. I am hoping to get a start over
those ridges tomorrow + gain access to the Los angeles Aquaduct, which
sounds wonderful right now - low, warm, + no snow. Hoping that if + when I
reach Agua Dulce, all that snow on the Angeles Crest will be negotiable.
Also hoping that storm 4 + 5 and . . .  are not on their way.
    Goforth is still going, slowly.
    I am constantly thinking of all the people on the list -- your comments
+ personalities drift through my mind all the time and I am hoping to meet a
few of you at the Lake Morena Kickoff.
                Love, Joanne