Re: [pct-l] Resupply updates

At 06:36 AM 3/30/99 -0600, Pat wrote:

>Don't send anything to ONYX -- it is a long hike down and back to the
>town(?) a PO and gas station!

We had originally planned on this as a drop, but changed our minds and went
through to K. Meadows from Tehachapi.

>Kennedy Meadows - They preferr that you send by UPS only because you
>can't mail out. NO PHONE! Meadow Ed is hoping to be there again this

The following worked for us last year:

YOUR NAME
C/O KENNEDY MEADOWS GEN. STORE
1445 KENNEDY MEADOWS RD
INYOKERN, CA 93527

>Vermilion Valley Resort. Butch and Peg Wiggins are fantastic and you
>will enjoy your stay with them very much.  Their pies are delicious and
>they go out of their way to help us.  To allay any confusion, here is
>the e-mail address for VVR so you can contact them personally;
>		<VVR@EdisonLake.com>.

Bring your credit card!

>For Echo Lake -- don't send packages there and don't plan on staying!
>For the last two years they have been too busy to cater to PCT Thru
>Hikers.

I think they simply don't like hikers at all. Last year these folks were as
snotty as they come. I think they're used to serving the wealthy residents
who own summer homes on the lake.

>Plan on sending packages to the South Lake Tahoe PO and
>staying at the Tahoe Sunset Lodge with Sam Patel.  For a small fee he
>will shuttle you from Echo Lake to his motel -- wonderful Trail Angel!

We met Sam, a real nice guy. Unfortunately he was booked when we arrived.
It took us many hours to hitch a ride down to S. Lake Tahoe but it was
worth it. One suggestion is to call Sam using the payphone at Carson Pass,
one day before you arrive at Echo Lake. It is in front of the visitors hut
there. As far as post offices, there are a number of them in S. Lk. Tahoe.
You need to make sure that you know which one you are sending to and where
to go to pick up your package. There is one just down the street from Tahoe
Sunset Hotel, but I don't know the zip code. Maybe call Sam. I also know
that some folks sent boxes to Sams last year.

Mark Dixon