Re: [pct-l] Unleaded ( go for low octane)

Can you mix and match?  I think that I will take my old, old naked (sans
blue metal box) Optimus 8R after I get to Kennedy Meadow, if I have half a
fuel bottle of white gas, can I fill it up with unleaded low octane fuel,
and have a working stove? ( I have some compunction about emptying the
bottle into the environment, let alone the ecomomics of a Scotch Surname)

goforth

----------
> From: Montedodge@aol.com
> To: pct-l@edina.hack.net
> Subject: [pct-l] Unleaded ( go for low octane)
> Date: Thursday, March 11, 1999 3:13 PM
>
> To Sly and Brick. Both Optimus and MSR say to use the lowest Octane you
can
> find for white gas stoves. ( mostly has to do with the higher amount of
> additives). To Brick, I own and use a old 1973 MSR model 9 with an
instruction
> book that looks homemade. ( A great stove still for melting snow on
climbs)
> It,s just my climbing stove. About kerosene, gas and such, your old high
> school Chem class says, methane gives off 1 carbon when burned, butane
gives 2
> off , propane 3 , and octane gives off 8 carbon molicules when burned.
Thank
*