Re: [pct-l] new to backpacking!

:I'm a 5'2" woman and have been using the Dana Designs Terraplane for the
past
:couple of years.  It is soooo comfortable on me compared to a Lowe I had
:borrowed previously.  If I were looking now, I'd see if Dana comes out with
:lighter weight pack.  I believe (from all I've been reading, my own
experience
:etc.) that the heavy-duty cordura fabric that is used in most backpacks is
:overkill.

I'm a 5'2" woman :-) and I used a Lowe Contour IV while hiking the 480-mile
Colorado Trail last summer -- and found it wonderfully comfortable *for me*.
As everyone will agree, the pack that fits *you* will be the most
comfortable. My daughter (5'4") who hiked with me used a Dana Designs
Glacier Light -- it's smaller than the Terraplane and, therefore, lighter.
I agree with Deb that, unless you are really hard on your packs, you don't
really need heavy-duty cordura. On the other hand, I just can't give up a
solid, well-fitting hip belt...

Karen