RE: [pct-l] Hiking poles

I just bought a pair of Leki Super Makalu poles yesterday.  The particular
model that I have has the grips at a 15 degree angle from the shaft which
makes it much easier to place the tips out in front of you on downhills.
Also, the spring action can be adjusted from full to 50% to none depending
on what you need at the moment.

I tried out my new poles this morning for the first time.  I love 'em!  My
first hike was a short 1.5 mile trail that gains 1500 feet of elevation.
I've been having some knee trouble since a bicycling accident I suffered
last spring, so this trail usually clobbers them, epecially on the downhill
part.

The poles didn't help me move much faster up the hill, I think because my
cardiovascular system was the limiting factor on the climb.  They did
noticably help ease stress on my quads and knees, though.  On the other
hand, coming downhill was astounding!  I could basically walk with a regular
stride, using the poles to arrest my descent and bleed off extra speed.
Walking downhill that fast without the poles would normally result in major
injuries, but I finished feeling great.  I could tell that my legs had been
working hard, but they weren't hurting.  That makes the poles worth every
cent I paid and them some!

Other good points I noticed:
*  The carbide tips really stick to anything!  I could put them on slippery
rocks that I couldn't even stand on and they'd grab like they were glued on.
*  In addition to saving my knees from certain destruction, they also
improved my traction.  Even when a foot slipped a couple of times, it was OK
because I had three other points on the ground to hold me up.
*  I liked the adjustable spring action.  I set it stiff for uphills and
soft for downhills.
*  Your upper body gets a good workout.

Bad points that I noticed:
*  They can be kind of noisy, especially on fast downhills.  Regular ski
poles might be quieter in this respect.
*  The trail needs to be wide enough to accomodate your feet and the poles
on either side.  Narrow or overgrown trails would present a problem.
*  Your upper body is going to be sore for awhile!