[pct-l] Re: Sierra Weather

The general rule in the Sierra is if you see clouds before 11AM you may get a
thunderstorm. After 11, no storm no matter how bad it looks. Now in the case of
last years storm in the Whitney region there were light thunderstorms that hit
the previous day at 11:15 AM. That party COULD have chosen to walk right past
Whitney as we did. However, they were so invested in climbing Whitney that that
thought was unthinkable. I suspect that many thruhikers will be invested in
making miles. That's dangerous.

I have had only one (1) really miserable hike. That time I have to get to a
gertain location to meet resupply. Halfway down LeConte canyon I realized that
my plan was too agressive and, coupled with bad weather, I should stop. I
couldn't! I will never do that again -- lock myself into a schedule.

Obviously, the brain is the #1 survival skill.