[pct-l] Bear-bagging

Does anyone know what the major cause of failure of bear-bagging might be?
I assume that it would be the bear gaining access to the rope and biting
through it.
It occurs to me that if that's the case perhaps using a 50 foot piece of
stranded
wire instead of parachute cord might improve the odds.  I am thinking of
hanging
over a stout limb, but not counterbalancing.  The wire would be tied-off to
itself,
probably at the base of the hang tree.  The bag, of course, would be located
at the
recommended distances from limb, trunk, and ground.

I think the required wire would weigh less than a cannister, but have a
more-or-less
unlimited capacity.  Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

. . . Kurt
kpherzog@iname.com