Re: [pct-l] Skin reactions to coolmax?

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Joanne Lennox wrote:

> Has anybody else gotten a skin reaction to coolmax?

not to coolmax.  but i have had an alergic reaction like the one you
describe to other clothing.  i was hiking for six weeks with just a day
pack.  i developed a red, slightly itchy, patch right where the
rubber label on my underware touched my spine.

when i got back, i had a doctor look at it as it wasn't going away, at
least not quickly.  he said that i had gotten a reaction to a compound in
the rubber called (i don't know how to spell it) "keylates".

it wasn't a big deal and it did go away.  of course, however, i would like
to avoid this condition in the future.

i think on of the factors besides the "keylates" was the rubbing of the
label on my back as i walked.  so perhaps you can lessen the problem by
getting larger socks which don't rub as much.  just a thought.

	rob