Re: [pct-l] Using a Tumpline?

joanne,

i don't have any experience with a tumpline myself, but i do recall
seeing someone else using one and i find it an slightly amusing story.

i was hiking in nepal with a tour group (mountain travel).  we had, as
is normal, a mix of paying gringos and working sherpas and porters
(nepali's from the high and low lands).  one sherpa was carrying the
doctor's backpack.  when the sherpa went through towns he'd swing the
pack around the normal way (i.e., the way we carry backpacks).  once
out of sight of his fellow sherpas, he swing it back to be comfortable
-- with one of the straps serving as a tumpline and carrying all the
weight.

maybe it takes a while to get used to a tumpline, but i have to
believe that all those nepalis are using them for a reason.  they
could have gotten used what we use almost as easily and many could
acquire western style backpacks if they wanted to.

i liked your post.  it is interesting to hear about other people's
preparation and you are making your own gear, which is especially
interesting.

	rob bedichek

ps. i've gone the store-bought route so far.  my pack's dry weight is 17 lbs.
    i have a detailed list of my gear along with measured weights, if anyone
    is interested.  after i've tested the gear more, i'd like to show
    the list to someone more experienced and see if they have suggestions.
    i've been influenced quite a bit by ray jardine's hiking handbook.
    the longest solo trip i've taken was 10 days on the pct in washington
    state.