[pct-l] Your own hike

I am responding to the current discussion over whether or not leaving a cache of water for hikers is good style/ethics, though this response could cover many topics.

I have noticed that each time a new message is posted, it invariably contains subjective thoughts on what the trail experience.  Someone says "You should become one with nature".  Another says "Leave trappings of civilization behind".  Etc.

Well, the fact that all of this thoughts are different should be a BIG CLUE!

Traveling in the wilderness means something different to everyone.  Some may say "Yes, but this is the PCT.  It should be done in good style."  Again, a subjective statement, AS IT SHOULD BE.

Just to keep the record straight, I have not hiked the PCT, but hope to in 3 years.  I have had PLENTY of wilderness experience climbing/backpacking/hiking etc.  Mountaineering is my passion.

For me, the dream of the PCT is one of physical challenge, of being surrounded by Gods country, of meeting wonderful folks whom you continue to keep in touch with once the trail is gone and you return to civilization.  For me, "being one with nature" is not the goal, though it is most likely a product of so many days on the trail.

I have done my share of desert hiking and can say that, while I believe in "The Wilderness Experience", I also know how utterly wonderful a gallon jug of water would be after having to hike 10 miles with only a swig or two an hour.

There are many hurdles to finishing a hike like the PCT.  Some run out of money, some have their spirit broken.  Just walking is sometimes a problem.  Each year PCT Thru-Hike hopefuls have to bail out because of bad knees, ankles, bone spurs, etc.

For some, seeing a jug of water in the time of need could mean the difference between abandoning the dream of a thru-hike or seeing the dream thru to Canada.  It often amazes me how a small trivial action/object/thought can spur people on to do amazing things.

I find it hard to believe that seeing a water jug could "ruin" a walk from Mexico to Canada (a subjective thought I realize).  A trip that, when folks hear what you are doing, causes folks to look at you with admiration, amazement, or even suspicion (after all, who WALKS from Mexico to Canada.  Only crazies!).  A trip which you can look back upon and realize that you had somehow changed because of it.

One of the most important things I have brought away from my travels in the mountains are the friendships I have made.  To me, the support teams (those who cache water) are just one more in the line of folks I could call Friend.

For me, the "Trail Experience" is the support teams who cache water.  It's the fella who drove me from San Diego to Campo.  It's the postcard I picked up at the last mail drop from a highschool friend asking me how my trip is going.  It's the women I have hiked with for 3 days even though I only know her trail name.

I guess my point is that the "Trail Experience" is different for everyone.

I am not you.

You are not me.

There is nothing wrong with that.

--