Re: [pct-l] Kelty Cloud 60

In a message dated 99-02-18 21:33:23 EST, pchaskell@hotmail.com writes:

<< Has anyone hefted, seen, or used this pack?  I'm intrigued by the specs
 listed in the March Backpacker.  (In terms of looks alone this pack is
 intriguing--sort of a cross between the Pilsbury Doughboy and the
 Michelin man.) >>

I too was intrigued by the claims of this pack, and managed to check one out
at the Outdoor Retailer's Carnival of Mayhem in Salt Lake. It's pretty kool.
They say it only weighs 1 pound and 2 ounces, and I'll attest that it can't
possibly weigh any more than that. There are two wicked-skinny aluminum stays
for the suspension. I tried on a regular for my 19 inch torso and it felt
pretty good. However, I never got a chance to try it with weight. My suspicion
is that anything surpassing 30 pounds would begin to test it. More than 40,
and you may want a Dana (or similar). $400 is a lot of Mad Dog, but it's still
a kool pack, plenty voluminous (pushing 5000 cu in I'd say). Dunno if they're
available yet, but I reckon you could call Kelty.

I hope this helps.

As ever,
Former Attorney General Ed Meese