Re: [pct-l] Kelty Cloud 60

Peter Haskell wrote:

> Has anyone hefted, seen, or used this pack?  I'm intrigued by the specs
> listed in the March Backpacker.  (In terms of looks alone this pack is
> intriguing--sort of a cross between the Pilsbury Doughboy and the
> Michelin man.)

This looks like the updated version of a Kelty ultralight pack I used on
Everest in 1992. That was the first year they made it. I didn't use it
in 1993! Went back to my old North Face Snow Leopard. The savings in
weight of the Kelty did not make up for the awkwardness and discomfort
of how the pack carrying when it was above 35 pounds. The one I used
didn't have side pockets or anything more than enough "frame" to keep
the pack from being just a hunk of material.  There was another climber
on our expedition, a man, who had the oversized version, and he said his
was bearable but he certainly didn't much like it and wouldn't use it
again. That was a long time ago, obviously and they may have come a long
way since then. It's also not a good pack to have in a snowstorm!! My
experience was bad enough that I wouldn't buy another one unless I
demoed it for a week or so and found it very much improved. IMHO.

Namaste, m

--
Margo Chisholm
The Freedom Coach

"Challenge your most cherished assumptions."
-- Unknown