[pct-l] Re: Self-arrest Techniques

> Hi Margo, hope you have a great Valentines Day tomorrow.
>
> It sounds like you have had quite a bit of snow and winter climbing
> experience and I was wondering if you could give me some pointers on
> executing self arrest.

Hi Pat,

I understand your concerns. There's nothing like actual practice on real
snow for self-arrest. I haven't done one in many years! I learned it
1988 and practiced again in 1989 and 1990 but never had to use it and
haven't done one since. One of the best descriptions of  the techniques
is in the book MOUNTAINEERING: THE FREEDOM OF THE HILLS. I would take a
look at it if you haven't. Anything I would tell you is in there. I plan
on carrying instep crampons which will go far toward eliminating the
need for self arrest. Added weight, yes, but also huge added safety on
those cold, hard snow mornings. I don't know where you are in New
England but if you're close to snow, I'm guessing you could talk to your
local gear store about who might be able and willing to spend a little
time with you, teaching you. Any climber or back-country skier has
experience - or at least knowledge - of self-arrest and most would be
glad to assist you in learning/practising. Hope that helps.

Enjoy this Valentine's Day.

Namaste, m

--
Margo Chisholm
The Freedom Coach

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are."
-- e.e. Cummings