[pct-l] Everest death rate

> There is one important difference -- On the PCT, the success rate is *much*
> higher than the death rate -- they're about the same on Everest.

I'm not sure why the heck we are comparing these two... but to set the
record straight:

Thru 1996, total summits=676, total deaths=148.
In 1970, there were 4 summits, 8 deaths.
In 1996, there were 98 summits, 15 deaths.
Source: "Everest, Mountain Without Mercy", Broughton Coburn, 1997..
       (book that accompanies the "Everest" IMAX film)

Maybe what we need is a guide service for the PCT, and sherpas to carry
food. Oxygen could be used for the high Sierra passes, and if it gets
really cold we could bundle up in down parkas, down pants, and massive
double or triple boots with overgaitors. Make sure the boots are at least
3 sizes too big in case your feet swell.

Helicopters would pick you up at the L.A. airport and drop you off at
CampO. Camps 1 through 122 would be used to get you to the summit of the
PCT, Manning Park. You'd have to hike the entire trail 3-4 times, hiking
from CampO to Camp 1, back to CampO (watch out for muggers and
rattlesnakes in the Kumbo AssFall). Then a push from CampO to Camp 2,
sleeping at Camp 1. Continue this pattern for the next 2700 miles.

You can always leave the trail at Stevens Pass and take the bus west to
Everett, whose highest point is 29,028 cm. The summit is in Forest Park
off of 41st Street. You'll see lots of flags planted there, and photos of
the Daily Llama (a local organic-farming newsletter). Be careful of the
west face, as it's a precipitous drop to Putrid Sound. On your way up,
note the bodies strewn on the ground (they're just sunbathing, don't throw
them into a crevasse).

(hope this doesn't offend any of ya, I'm just being silly...)