[pct-l] expanding foot size.. & sock stuff.

After thinking more about it, I've come to some decisions
on my footwear...
It appears that my 11.5 size feet have already grown to 12 just
due to my regular training hikes.  I've decided to go with (gulp) size
14 shoes for the potentially snowy sections (lightweight, gore-tex,
semi-stiff boots).  I plan to have some extra insoles, which
can cut down the effective size to about 13.  Plus, the boots have
their own removable insoles, which in an emergency could be taken
out to give more space (size 15?). This should give enough flexibility.
For the dryer sections, I'm going with lightweight runner/hiker shoes
size 13 or 14 and using the same strategy as above.  I also have some
tevas which are size 12. But, being tevas, they're pretty flexible.

For socks, I'm just using the costco generic (wool/synthetic blend)
hiker socks... they seem to work pretty well.  They do get sweaty,
but as long as I keep them fresh (change multiple times per day), I
think I'll be ok. It's hard to beat the price! (can anyone tell me
why socks are so damn expensive?  They're just freaking SOCKS!)

I'm also using some mini-gaiters.  I've always had a problem with
my socks getting all crusty with dust, dirt and mud.  I have some
~4 inch gaiters that work really well to keep my socks
cleaner (even work with running shoes).  I don't use the
"understrap" and have had no problems with them slipping up.

Lastly, I have to applaud Jardine's suggestion of anti-fungal
treatments.  I've been treating my feet for a while and have noticed
a big difference.  My feet don't smell at all, my callous has built
up, and I think it will help keep socks fresher, longer.

If anyone has comments, I'd love to hear them.

-Jonathan

PS: Finally, the SUN is out in Seattle!!! (at least for a little
while!) This winter has really sucked... unless you like
endless rain and snow.