Re: [pct-l] Bruises -- OOPS

>Jen  ICE FIRST then take a hot soak later,  Tylenol
>first and then aspirin the next day if Tylenol doesn't work as well
[snip]
>Egg -- again!    Pat

  Awww, no egg Pat <VBG>; Jen probably got lots of "ice" the same way she
got her bruises, anyway (ice axe practice) - sorry, Jen., heheh. That's
one thing about winter backcountry injuries: cold packs sure are handy!

   Brick, I think we're all "prescribing" Tylenol etc initially for
_pain_ of bruising  (Jen asked how to relieve the pain from the bruises
she got that day), rather than an inflammatory condition. She had a "fall
down go boom" injury, not the runner's strain you posted about; don't
intend  to follow that tangent, but I understand there's even some debate
in sports medicine circles about aspirin etc for initial treatment of
the condition in your example (muscle tearing), because of the
bleeding-factor. Aspirin (and other NSAIDS) increase prothrombin time,
which is definitely not what anybody wants for a bleeding situation like
bruising (Jen's post). Once the bleeding stops, if there's inflammation
and continuing ow-ow, nobody's got anything against NSAIDS, unless
they've got an ulcer or renal disease or something, of course....   Hope
this helps,     bj

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]