[pct-l] Re:PCT and Everest

> >More people have climbed Mt. Everest than have thu-hiked the PCT. Around
> >400 known thu-hikers vs around 600 Everest climbers.
>
> There is one important difference -- On the PCT, the success rate is *much*
> higher than the death rate -- they're about the same on Everest.

Not quite. As of 1989 - the last year I have published numbers for, it
was 244 on the summit and 103 deaths. Obviously both numbers have
increased in the last 9 climbing years but the number of summitters has
more than tripled (800+ as far as I know) whereas the number of deaths
is up by less than 50, as close as I can figure. As a two-time Everest
attempter who has lost more than one close friend to her, I didn't want
this glorious Mother Goddess of the Earth to get a worse reputation than
she might have already. Both Everest and the PCT are near and dear to my
heart, bringing challenges, connection with the Universe, extended time
"out" and the kind of connection with myself I don't get very often in
everday life. I was on Everest in 92 and 93 and spent a month at Base
Camp with friends in 95. They were some of the most extraordinary times
of my life. I imagine that will be true of my time on the PCT this
summer and next as well. It's been an 8-year dream to walk this trail,
and my heart sings at the opportunity.

Enjoy the night.

namaste, m

--
Margo Chisholm
The Freedom Coach

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are."
-- e.e. Cummings