Re: [pct-l] Washington First-aid for blisters

At 04:59 PM 2/10/99 -0800, Joanne Lennox wrote:
>I have recently discovered an unknown compound that rivals "second Skin"
>and I am sure that it can be put to good use for blisters.

 Thus, in keeping with Jardines philosophy of "multiple use", these
>substances have uses ranging far beyond  mere first aid.  Boredom and ennui
>found in Northbound thruhikers entering Washington is bound to  lead to new
>creative uses for this substance.
>
>I might add that application of this substance is sometimes touchy  If any
>intervening piece of anatomy hits the slug before it arrives at the blister
>site, that piece of anatomy will l bear the
>intented first-aid despite your best efforts, and another slug will need to
>be sacrificed for the blister.  Despite these drawbacks, I hope you will
>remain open minded and search out these creatures in order to see for
>yourself this miraculous substance.

Goforth:

Well said!  It takes a great mind to see greatness in humble things.

As you so astutely noted, slugs do present something of a challenge to
those attempting to make practical use of them but the solution is actually
rather simple for anyone possessing ordinary backpacking accessories.

Slugs may be collected in the very early morning using a pair of tweezers
dedicated to this purpose and placed into a suitable container.  Then back
at home, place them on waxed paper [don't let them touch!] and pop them
quickly into your freezer.  Next, when they are quite stiff, put them in a
dehydrator on screening coated with Teflon [important!] and dry those
little suckers till they're brittle [two weeks, a month, maybe]; store them
in ziplock bags till you need them.

On the trail rehydrate them with water and , using tweezers, apply them to
your blisters and other afflictions.  DO NOT THROW THE USED SLUG AWAY!  In
accordance with LNT philosophy, use it to add a certain something to your
noodles,etc.  Now, if despite your precautions you have gotten slimed,
merely apply a small amount of stove fuel, do be sparing, and light it.  It
will be gone in a flash!

And as for multiple use per Jardine [blessed be the Prophet, may his tribe
increase], the future is bright.  Just consider the possibilities:

Slime on your hat could trap deer flies and a strip around your socks would
keep ticks and chiggers from climbing up your legs.
Lubricate your eyeglass hinges.
Quiet squeaky pack frames.
Prevent zippers from freezing up.
Lip gloss.
Stick messages to rocks, trees, etc. along the trail.
Protein supplement with "Compound M".
And so forth....

No doubt, determining the proper use of each of the two musosal substances
will occasion impassioned controversies on this list but they will only
further serve the advancement of TRUTH and , mayhap, the day will dawn when
the lowly slug will take its rightful place as a benefactor of man [and
women]-kind!

May the Wind be with you,

Merlin