Re: [pct-l] Metal vs Plastic, old style vs new.

I have the old Dur-TY Business, the old Garcia, the new Garcia and the
Aluminum Bear can. I am the [self styled, pedantic] expert in bear
canisters [in the known world if I say so myself].

Th 2 pound 12 ounce Garcia Bear Cache is very easy to pack and is identical
in size to previous canisters except for a little bulge in the middle where
the weld mark shows. I am not sure WHICH old style Garcia you have but it
is, no doubt, somewhere between a little and a lot heavier.

The Bear Can is 2 pounds 2 ounces or *TEN OUNCES LIGHTER than the lightest
Garcia made. In addition, both ends open. That is the good news. The bad
news.
1-I have not had a bear attack the can yet. It ought to work but there is
no devinitive evidence. We talked to the manufacturer. As of last summer
they didn't have a real test with a bear. Eyeballing it, it doesn't LOOK as
secure. The aluminum top leaves a small gap that a bear MIGHT get a stray
claw into.
2-There are reinforcing rings inside the can that are a pain to pack
around. Using my extreme pressure approach [discribed in a past post] there
is a danger of cutting the baggies. Still, I was able to get 18 pounds of
food into the can [the same amount as a Garcia Bear Cache]
3- The aluminum screws [ four per end] really require a screw driver. Plus
they are fragile, tend to jam and might possibly strip. Plus, one more to
worry about. But . . .there are two ends.
4- The aluminum color disguises easily as alight rock [as opposed to a dark
rock with the Garcia]. Painting pink [or orange or yellow or . . . ] is
almost a requirement.

The bear can is almost identical in size as the plastic model. Mine did not
dent. I never use a sling [and don't advocate one] so I don't know if it'll
work.