Re: [pct-l] Tuna Can Alcohol Stove Design

ROYROBIN@aol.com wrote:

> BURNER:  Similar to Jim Mayer's design, made from a 3 oz tuna can with a liner
> wick made from fiberglass insulation held in place with metal window screen.
> The wick material is about 3/16 inch thick in my stove.  1/8 inch would
> probably do.

I found that the insulation stiffens after the first burn, and conforms to the
sides of the burner.  I can turn the burner upside down and shake it, and the
wicking material won't fall out.

> JACKET:  A 7 oz tuna can has a 1.5 to 1.75 inch hole centered in the bottom
> and six tabs cut around the rim with a churchkey opener.

Hmmm, I used a burner hole of 1.25 inches.  I wonder if that is part of the source
of my missing two minutes.

> WINDSCREEN (not shown):  Make a cylinder from sheet aluminum.  I used material
> cut from a disposable roasting pan.  It's thicker than aluminum foil and holds
> it's shape.

Is it small enough to fit inside your pot with the other stuff?

> OPERATION:  Using a 0.9 liter titanium pot, the stove will bring 1 pint of
> cold water to a full boil in about 5 minutes.

Hmmm again.  I've been using a lightweight, Target 3 cup saucepan made from
aluminum.  Poorer heat transfer?

> Use no more than 2 or 3
> tablespoons of denatured alcohol, and plan to let it burn out.  I haven't
> figured out any good way to shut the thing off!

I remove the stand with my pot gripper, and use the base of the pot as a candle
snuffer. (Not my idea, I picked it up here from someone more clever than I.

Thanks for letting all of us poach off of your design.