[pct-l] Tuna Can Alcohol Stove Design

PCTListers --

For those of you who are interested in the alcohol stove design, I promised a
drawing of my version of the tuna can stove.  I learned that the PCT list
doesn't accept attachments to messages (undoubtedly a good idea).  Therefore,
IF YOU WANT THE DRAWING WHICH ACCOMPANIES THIS MESSAGE, SEND ME AN E-MAIL AND
I'LL FORWARD A COPY IN EITHER .JPG OR .BMP FORMAT.  Some details:

BURNER:  Similar to Jim Mayer's design, made from a 3 oz tuna can with a liner
wick made from fiberglass insulation held in place with metal window screen.
The wick material is about 3/16 inch thick in my stove.  1/8 inch would
probably do.

JACKET:  A 7 oz tuna can has a 1.5 to 1.75 inch hole centered in the bottom
and six tabs cut around the rim with a churchkey opener.  This is inverted and
pushed onto the burner.  The tabs hold the burner centered.  (The marketing
gurus seem to have reduced the size of these tuna cans to 6 oz, no doubt also
increasing the price.)  Find a size that will give you 1/4 to 3/8 inch gap
between the outer and inner cans and about the same above the burner.  The gap
above the burner can be adjusted by sliding the jacket up or down on the
burner.  Please don't try to do this after it's lit.

STAND:  Made from 1 inch wire mesh bent into a circle.  Bend the top wires in
so the pot sits about 1 inch above the burner.  Size the stand so it fits
inside your pot, along with the burner/jacket.

WINDSCREEN (not shown):  Make a cylinder from sheet aluminum.  I used material
cut from a disposable roasting pan.  It's thicker than aluminum foil and holds
it's shape.  Use a couple paper clips to hold it together.  I cut air holes
around the bottom with a paper hole punch.  The windscreen should fit around
your pot with about 1/2 inch gap, and high enough so the handle just clears.

OPERATION:  Using a 0.9 liter titanium pot, the stove will bring 1 pint of
cold water to a full boil in about 5 minutes.  Use no more than 2 or 3
tablespoons of denatured alcohol, and plan to let it burn out.  I haven't
figured out any good way to shut the thing off!

WEIGHT:  3 oz for jacket/burner, stand and windscreen.

I'd like to hear suggestions for improvements, and will try to answer
questions.  Good luck!

Roy Robinson