Re: [pct-l] Umbrella and dogs

Hi Helen, and anyone else contemplating hiking 2600+ miles with their
beloved canine companion and friend!

As a "carbon copy,"  Walt and I found walking with an umbrella in the desert
more trouble than it was worth.  I love all "critters" and would be
concerned that my precious canine companion might have more serious problems
carrying its' own umbrella and pack and hiking 5-6 months through the desert
and Sierras because we wanted them along.  These are several reasons I have
for a dog not to carry an umbrella;

1) brush can sometimes be as tall, or taller, than we were.  A lot of the
time in '97 it was overgrown on the trail so we had to use our arms to part
it in order to walk on the trail -- for long stretches at a time too.  We
either had to close our umbrellas and "carry them in our arms" to keep them
from getting snagged and ripped by the brush, or put them inside our packs.
Dogs don't always stay on the trail -- brush would rip the umbrella to
shreds in no time.  What would happen if your dog got caught in the shrub?
Would the dog get hurt trying to free itself, not to mention the trauma it
would go through trying to do so?

2) the wind can come up when you least expect it and sometimes it was so
strong we had to really hang on to the umbrella or it would turn inside out
or blow away.  How big is your dog -- could it become airborne?

3)the wind made lots of noise as it rattled the mylar  -- what would it do
to a dog the first time this happened?

I have hiked with friends and their canine family members for 2-3 weeks on
the trail and even a young dog sometimes had a hard time and one even ended
up with some serious problems afterwards. I haven't really seen anything on
the market for a dog that would really help keep a it cool through the
desert heat.  Is your dog one that will be able to take the cold and icy
conditions in the Sierras?  Can it's stamina last for 2600+ miles? In '97 a
couple hiked with their two Samoyans.  Both of them had to go to a vet in
Big Bear (I believe) because their paws were badly torn up. They weren't use
to the 10-12 hour days of constantly climbing over rocks and in
walking in the abrasive sand. Both of them were boarded in Palmdale so they
weren't subjected to the Majove heat, and again when a Ranger caught them on
the trail in Yosemite.

Yes, we have had dogs, and I love them and have taken them hiking and
camping. One of our hiking friends on the PCT in '97, who also has a dog,
felt so sorry for the Samoyans that he made this comment to me one day after
seeing how raw and bloody their paws had gotten and how exhausted they were
in camp, "did anyone ever ask them if they wanted to go on this hike? Would
they have brought the dogs if they had known how much pain and suffering
they would be going through?" I couldn't answer him!

I don't want to presume too tell you what to do Helen, but have you asked
your dogs' vet about whether your dog is in condition to make this hike?
What the long term outcome would be for the dog after the hike?  I will be
there cheering you both on if the answer would be -- "Go take your dog on a
hike!

I am sorry if I have hurt anyones feelings with my comments, that was not my
intention.  I guess I am trying to be a "Devils Advocate" and ask questions
before any serious situation cripples someones loving companion and friend.
I would feel terrible if my desire to share a wonderful experience with my
dog caused them any serious problems.  I guess you could say my compassion
is for "the (dogs and) birds!"

Hang in there Critters!
Happy Trails --- Pat

I hope to see you on the trail -- with or without your canine companion!
I wonder has anyone designed a "stand" for the umbrella