[pct-l] re: umbrella

"I wonder has anyone designed a "stand" for the umbrella that could be
fixed to a doggy pack for desert travel." -Helen

Hi Helen,
   I used to hike with a group out of San Diego,  of who's members all made
custom backpacking gear. One individual was using an umbrella over twenty
years ago; first attaching it to external frame packs and later to
internals. On each case (and it may take some ingenuity on a dog pack), the
short umbrella shaft was modified to attach to the rigid frames of the
pack. On the early externals, he had a C-clamp affixed to the shaft. This
provided a fore and aft adjustment to the umbrella when attached to the
horizontal top-most bar of the pack. On the internal frame pack he had a
small camera tripod swivel mount attached to a flat aluminum extension. The
flat extension attached through the pack bag to one of the internal
aluminum stays (this way, you could adjust the umbrella to any angle, to
keep the sun off, and the swivel would be out of the way enough to keep
your head from plowing into it, obviously the later, not a problem on a
doggie pack).

-Ken Marlow