RE: [pct-l] Pack capacity for PCT truhike

I used a 3000+ pack on the PCT. The same on the AT. It's extendable to
maybe 3500 (actually 60 liters) by raising the lid. I also have two
small mesh sidepockets. I carried 25+ pounds (with ice axe), including a
tent (Bibler I-tent), a 20 degree (Feather Friends) bag and a full
length thermarest. Also normal cooking gear (Pot and a MSR).

Worked fine for me, although getting 8+ days of food and 6 quarts of
water inside took some work (always carry everything inside). That was
the most I ever carried on the PCT (actually needed only 7 days of
food).

I also pack my stuff very compact. Most people (carrying the same as me)
probably would be more happy with a slightly larger pack, but if you're
going ultralight the 2600+ is probably enough. The size of your sleeping
bag is very important!

Getting the pack to be more square. Assume you're thinking about it
being kind of "barrel-formed" if you stuff it hard. That's always a
problem even with internal frame packs. You can either stuff it less
hard or trying to find a configuration that will keep it square. That's
what I do. My pack has a frame, but it's very weak. I put my sleepingbag
+ clothes (in a stuffsack) horizontally in the bottom, the thremarest
vertical beside it, the tent on top of the thermarest. The food bag
takes the rest of the pack. Then I add the (few) other items were they
fit. All the main items have a fairly well-defined shape though, and
helps the pack in keeping it's form.

Svein