[pct-l] Pack capacity

Joanne:

On our '98 thru-hike:

I used a 2800 cubic inch rucksack (I took the framesheet out and left the top pocket at home for a weight of 2 lbs. 5 ozs.

Jenelle used a 3000 cubic inch rucksack that weighed 2 lbs. 3 ozs.

We both used our sleeping pads against our backs (inside the packs) for added rigidity (though this does force more weight further away from your back).  We always had enough room for our not-very-compact food, though sometimes just barely, like leaving Independence for Red's Meadow.

Chris.