Re: [pct-l] success

Yep, I understand about thruhikes. That's why I relate them more to
starting a business than to a week-long pack. Still, wether the "adventure
of a lifetime" is your own business or thruhiking the PCT it is wise to
keep both in perspective.

The post that started this thread argued that "success" can be measured
many ways. Even if you set a "lofty" goal, if you later find that the goal
was "ludicrous" you have been successful even if only to the point of
scratching that particular itch. There was value in what you did -- just
look for it. I thought this was a valuable post for those starting out to
hike the PCT.

Now lets put it in perspective: "Raising a child is a much longer journey,
fraught with much greater perils, uncountably higher pain, with a much
higher price paid" Further, unlike a thruhike, you probably won't get
another chance. Seeing a child go bad has to be the ultimate bummer [That's
why i take mine backpacking]

The ultimate journey in life -- IS life. You can value your life according
to your own criteria, the criteria of society,the criteria of a specific
group, the criteria of a specific person [a mother for example] or the
criteria of a higher power. I choose the last. That's because, at trail's
end, I believe life goes on.