Re: [pct-l] success

reynolds@ilan.com wrote:

> Yep, I understand about thruhikes. That's why I relate them more to
> starting a business than to a week-long pack. Still, wether the "adventure
> of a lifetime" is your own business or thruhiking the PCT it is wise to
> keep both in perspective.
>
> The post that started this thread argued that "success" can be measured
> many ways. Even if you set a "lofty" goal, if you later find that the goal
> was "ludicrous" you have been successful even if only to the point of
> scratching that particular itch. There was value in what you did -- just
> look for it. I thought this was a valuable post for those starting out to
> hike the PCT.
>
> Now lets put it in perspective: "Raising a child is a much longer journey,
> fraught with much greater perils, uncountably higher pain, with a much
> higher price paid" Further, unlike a thruhike, you probably won't get
> another chance. Seeing a child go bad has to be the ultimate bummer [That's
> why i take mine backpacking]
>
> The ultimate journey in life -- IS life. You can value your life according
> to your own criteria, the criteria of society,the criteria of a specific
> group, the criteria of a specific person [a mother for example] or the
> criteria of a higher power. I choose the last. That's because, at trail's
> end, I believe life goes on.
>
> * From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List |  http://www.backcountry.net   *
Success is measured in the PCT case one step at a time. After all it's
the solitude and grandure of it all. Wether it be the bear stealing your
food because you didn't bring a bear canister or that once in a lifetime
picture. We are on this earth to enjoy, protect and take ONE STEP AT A
TIME.
Indian on the trail.
--

Restoration Pathfinders