Re: [pct-l] trail towns

In a message dated 1/12/99 9:29:25 PM EST, mtnsmike@Nantucket.net writes:

<<
 Warner Spring; only thing available in 95 was gas station store with
 munchies next to PO.

Great place to stay in Warner Springs was in the culverts under the hwy,
couple minutes walk north of the PO.  In '97, seven or eight of us camped
there overnite before picking up our care packages at the PO.  Made us feel
like real vagabonds.  (Look that up in a good dictionary.  You'll find a
perfect description of a thruhiker.)
Warner Springs was a very important place for us -- the end of Section A, the
"End of the Beginning", the place where we first said to ourselves, "We can do
this!"

<<
 Big Bear; Stay at fire station, bus to large stores for $1, Hard
 hitching, would try from Hwy. instead of Canyon Rd.

The hospitality of the Big Bear FD was flat-out amazing.  If anyone on this
list has enjoyed their hospitality and not yet personally thanked them, the
address is:

Big Bear City Fire Department
301 W. Big Bear Blvd.
P.O. Box 558
Big Bear City, CA  92314

Deanne Berry was the Secretary there in '97.  I suggest you NOT write them for
information, reservations, reassurances, hand-holding, etc.  My impression is
that they make their facilities available because it's good "Chamber of
Commerce" and because it's not a hassle.  Don't mess it up.

Hitchhiking into or out of Big Bear was not necessary.  We walked across
Baldwin Lake (dry) into town, and continued out to the trail again in Van
Dusen Canyon.  The hike across the lake was an interesting contrast to the
usual trail, and a good photo opportunity.  It's essentially a salt flat.