[pct-l] Frostline Hatchback backpacks

Bob
I have two Frostline Hatchback backpacks.  One I made in 1981 and the other in 1997 for my then 14 year old son.  Both are on Alpinelight frames.  I have never been a through hiker but I been out for 7 days and never had a problem with running out of space.  And on the weekend trips I have to be careful not to over pack.  The only drawback is the Alpinelight frames, they were state of the art when new in 1971 but now are relative uncomfortable compared to the new frames.  Which unfortunately where the blow comes to the kit idea.  I was going to mount my old pack on a new frame but the cost for the frame was not much lower than the frame with pack.  You can justify the additional cost by how well you sew the kit. Also you can add items to the pack. The second pack was modified with an extra pocket on the "hatch" below the first pocket.  Now comes the kicker, I just purchased a Northface Badlands internal frame pack to replace the first pack.  The purchase was not made because I was unhappy with the pack but because the frame was so out dated. I even sewed load lifters to the old frame but I could not get the comfort I wanted.  So I looked around for about a month and decided on the Badlands because it was a top and panel (hatch) loader.  I recently used it on a 7 day winter trip into the Grand Canyon and I am convinced that I made the correct decision to update my pack.  I am still going to keep my eyes open for the garage sale backpack with a newer frame.  I know I will find it because 2 years ago I got a brand-new Northface external frame early 80's pack for $20.  So if you have a frame you are happy with go-for-it.

Owen K

PS I would add two additional tie downs on the top

Greetings, Journeyers.  I am seriously considering the Frostline Hatchback
II backpack kit.  I have an Adventure 16 hiphugger external frame from
1976, which I really like, but the pack is an inefficient top loader.  I
have long planned to sew a new panel loading pack to fit the wonderfully
comfortable frame, and I came upon the Frostline kit at their web site.  My
ultimate goal is a PCT through-hike, but that will be a few years off.
What I want to know is, will the Hatchback II at 3168 cubic inches be
enough?  I will be carrying my sleeping bag, tent, ground cloth, and
Thermarest outside the pack and other gear including stove inside.  I'd
sure like to hear the experiences of earlier through-hikers regarding pack
size.  Thanks.
Bob Riess, "TrailHead"