[pct-l] The evolving ice axe & water purification

	Here's a short excerpt from Galen Rowells "In The Throne Room Of
The Mountain Gods" that I thought the history buffs might find
interesting.  From p.37 "Eckenstein designed his own equipment, including
a revolutionary type of crampon and an ice axe only 85 centimeters long,
unusually short for the time (somewhere around the late 1880's to early
1890's).  Conway scoffed and used an axe as long as a Biblical staff.
	Found this link in a forum (gear / water purification) at n2
backpacking:  www.wwmagic.com/haphor/oxygen.html  .   The fellow
mentioned that he had used this stuff to purify his water on a
backpacking trip.  Cost is $20 for 2 ounces and you use 20 drops per
gallon.  I don't remember but I think he mentions that it is tasteless.
More information and alternative ordering can be found at
www.baproducts.com/aerobic.htm.  I'll order a bottle of this over the
weekend (payday... hurray I finally  got a job after my summer of playing
in Idaho/wyoming/montana. )  and try it on some scummy water.  If anybody
is interested I'll post my findings; and if anybody else has experience
with this I'd love to hear it.  Oh the site mentioned that it was a very
short wait time before the water was ready.

			Happy New Year
			          namaste,
			                Tim

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]