Re: [pct-l] Lose Weight on the Greg Child Plan!!

Although I see both sides - get lean before you go, gain before you go -
having made two attempts on Everest, it doesn't work for me to play with
my weight - up or down - before a big trip.  And it does work for me to
be as fit as I possible can before a trip. Granted, my background is
climbing not long distance hiking but I believe there are more than a
few similarities. I have the added pieces of being in recovery from an
eating disorder and dealing with menopausal weight gain. What I know
works for me is to train the best way I can, feed myself in as healthy a
way as I can, and just show up! I envy Greg - and many other climbers I
know - the inherent fitness to get in shape the first three weeks of his
Everest climbs. Simply not true for me. I know it's much less painful to
start a trip fit than to get fit at the start of a trip. So I'm
snowshoeing/hiking with a heavy pack (35 - 40 pounds now, increasing to
50 before I leave in the spring) as often as I can, right now 2 - 3
hours, 3 times a week, hopefully increasing as I move toward spring,
although between my professional life and planning/preparing food, not
sure how the time will work.

At any rate, that's my experience. I think the bottom line is we each
find what works best for us and then use that experience for the next trip.

I have paid close attention to the need for variety in food that a
number of people have talked about and am still very open to hearing
specific ideas from people that are beyond the normal, average kinds of
things that almost everyone eats. Who's got some novel ideas?

I wish you all a sweet day.

Namaste, PCTCoach

--
Margo Chisholm
The Freedom Coach

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are."
-- e.e. Cummings