Re: [pct-l] Weight lose on a thruhiike

Hi Joanne -- I am finally able to get back on the net after helping Mom
through some problems at the Nursing HOme. We had some entertaining to do
and I have a short repreive before the next crunch starts! We've enjoyed
your discussions on the net, you are really bringing up some great thought
proviking and helpful points about thruhiking, getting the rest of us
thinking in the right directions -- thanks.

I wish that in '97 instead of being satisfied with being heavy at the start
of our hike I had lost weight instead.  Each of your comments about weight
hit the mark.  Being lighter weight to begin will certainly help not getting
as many blisters and sore muscles.  Since your comments are so relevant and
important I am listing them again:

>I would feel better starting my thruhike in April.(I feel lighter,it is
easier on the joints and tendons, I take the heat better, and proportion -
ately get more oxygen to my muscles without having to carry and feed extra
fat ).  I am trying to be scrupulous about every ounce I put into my pack,
it seems to be counterproductive to start out carrying an extra 10 pounds on
my body.>   This is so very important and will help to insure a better
beginning to your hike and make it a more successful one because you are
avoiding problems at the start of your hike so they don't haunt you
throughout the adventure and make is more enjoyable!!!

>What are the women's experiences?>  I didn't start losing any noticable
weight for 4-5 weeks, eventhough I wasn't hungry!  My summation is that I
was losing fat and building muscle.  In the desert areas the heat dulled my
appetite and I was always so tired my stomach rebelled at food, but I made
sure never to feel thirsty so I drank an great deal of water -- that
probably had a part in my never feeling hungry.  The theory about drinking
lots of water is that when you do feel dehydrated, you already are.  Walt
and I carried soda bottles and Nagalene bottles in '97 but have since gone
to Platypus containers -- so much lighter and more compact for the pack.
You can carry extras and send extras to yourself so much easier because they
roll up and are very light.  We still carry Gatorade bottles to mix our
Carnation Breakfasts in for our early morning get away (we mixed them up the
night before). Since these bottles are disposable, they get replaced at
every town with gatorade when we re-supply.  I suffered greatly with leg
muscle cramps and needed gatorade throughout the day.  My doctor told me to
keep the mixture to 1/3 powered gatorade to 2/3 water -- less if needed.
Adding too much gatorade causes it to build up in your body and can cause
naseua and other problems. I have since gotten a prescription for quinnine
and take it at bedtime -- this really helps keep the cramps at bay.

>If there is a large weight lose, how much was it and when on the thru hike
did it peak;(at Sonora Pass I had lost 15 - 18 lbs) when did the weight lose
start to taper off? I still lost weight even after I got off the trail
(another 5-6 lbs -- but not for long!!  Bad thing was I was in that "Feeding
Frenzy" mode for at least a month and would find myself coming out of a
store eating those wonderful 3-6 candy bars, a monstrus coke, ice cream --
you name it, I ate it. I don't even remember picking it up, buying it  --
much less eating it sooo --I gained 20 pounds in less than 3 months and was
almost back to my BEFORE hike weight!!!.

I can't stress theis enough, more than your breakfast, lunch or dinner,
snacks become your main food and get eaten all day long while hiking --they
provide your energy on a continuing basis.  I still love Baby Ruths and
Almond Joys and can't wait to get back on the trail so I can have them to my
hearts content! That is how important SNACKS were on the trail.

Walt and I wished we hadn't mailed ANY food boxes to ourselves until Kennedy
Meadows in '97 (except Warner Springs -- no close stores but you can hitch
to one out of town) and we won't this year.  Notice I didn't say not to mail
gear if you want to.  Another draw back is the day of the week that you get
into town to pick up these boxes-- Saturdays and Sundays are the pits making
mandatory layovers if you miss getting to the Post Office when they are open
on Satuday  -- don't forget those holidays either!!  There are PLENTY of
places in Southern California for food and lots of small stops at stores to
resupply for snacks.  You will make better time too, we hated having to
gauge our days miles on the Post Office being open -- it caused us lots of
unhappy hours when we could have taken our time and enjoyed the scenary!  We
will probably not use our stove until Mt. Laguna or Warner Springs either
and will send our stove ahead.  You can buy food in Campo to last until Mt.
Laguna -- you save carrying the extra weight and can therefore carry more
water if needed. Remember to walk just past the campgrounds at Lake Moraine
(take advantage of their great free showers at the camp) and stop at the
Malt Shop for food!

If you are starting our in early April Joanne, you might check to see if the
campground and shop will be open -- it maybe too early for them.  If so, you
may want to carry your stove.

Looking forward to seeing you somewhere on the PCT.

Happy Trails -- Granny Gear (Pat)