Re: [pct-l] Satellite phones

1. there was an interesting program on NPR on this
very topic this morning.  ... usually they replay programs a couple
times throughout the day, so you might catch it again today
OR ... if you have sound on your computer, you can go to
http://www.npr.org/ .. they play the radio there & you can also
listen to old broadcasts etc. .. search for satellite, Orrbcom, or
Iridium, telecomunications ... (the program was on in the Boston
listening area around 7:30 am today)

I was half asleep when I heard NPR this morn so I can't recall exactly
what they were saying. They discussed satellite phone systems
& Irdium satellite network. ( I vaugely recall them saying
that Irdium? Orrbcom? has given out some number of
cell phones for people to test out the government owned
satellite communicaitons system, however
they all had to sign a non-disclosure agreement
that they wouldn't discuss how the phones/system was working.)
And I *might* have heard them say they really don't know how
well it will work. i.e. some doubts about how well it would work etc.
(although, I have made a few calls to companies specializing in
satellite comunications etc., and individuals at those companies
have all suggested the mallegan GSC 100 and or the iridium for
remote comunication in remote areas)

2. I called Magellan Systems Corp yesterday and the
Magellan GSC 100 transceiver / GPS receiver was quoted at
$999.(so supossedlly $1000 instead of $1500)
However the Pioneer (it's only a gps no communications stuff
at all) was quoted at $139.99. It's advertised as the only gps
for under $100 on their web site. When I mentioned this they said
different dealers may have different prices so that you should call around.