Re: [pct-l] Satellite phones

In a message dated 10/20/98 10:56:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
goinggoinggone@webtv.net writes:

<< In addition to the voice transmitting Iridium system, there is a
 commercial satellite communications company called Orrbcom ( I believe
 that's the correct spelling but it may have one more m or one less r ).
 Their service requires the purchase of a Magellan Systems Corporation
 GSC 100 transceiver / GPS receiver ( about $1500 ) with which you can
 send and receive e-mail and receive GPS data as well as send real time
 GPS data to another GSC 100 unit anywhere in range of their 2 sats. They
 have a web site with service prices which are a lot cheaper than the
 Iridium voice transmission system, although if you're alone and
 seriously injured it might be hard to tap out an e-mail post on
 itty-bitty keys, but at least with the GPS you could relay your exact
 location. If I remember correctly, Orrbcom has a sale on through the end
 of this month where they waive 6 months of service fees ( $30 per month
 ).

                                ~ Al ~ >>

Sounds like "overkill" to me.

Charlie